Teen Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
For most addictions, medical specialists will prescribe prescription drugs such as methadone in order to curb the drug withdrawal symptoms. However, these prescribed drugs are equally addictive and dangerous the drug itself. Experts believe that prescription drug abuse and addiction is second only to marijuana abuse.
Prescription Drug Addiction
This addiction begins with a routine drug prescription, such as strong painkillers prescribed by a medical practitioner for a physical injury. Many begin taking more than the prescribed dose due to the intensity of pain etc, and with continued overdose use and abuse, this can quickly become a drug addiction.
Symptoms of Prescription Drug Addiction
- Financial disasters
- Suicidal tendencies
- Loss in studies and career progression
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Other drug abuse
Prescription Drugs that may lead to Prescription Drug Addiction include:
- Painkillers, such as, Codeine, OxyContin, Vicodinand Tylenol, prescribed for temporary or chronic pain.
- Depressants, such as Soma, Xanax and valium, prescribed for anxiety and insomnia.
- Stimulants, such as, Ritalin, Dexedrine and Concerta, prescribed for ADHD and Asthma.
When a prescription drug addict abruptly stops using the drugs there are some withdrawal symptoms that manifest, which may cause relapse, these include:
- Drug craving
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain, loss of appetite, and feelings of nausea
- Violent behavior
- Cold flashes, and tremors in leg muscles
Teen Prescription Drug Addiction Precautions
Parents can take steps to limit or prevent teen drug addiction, for example:
- Discuss with growing children about the dangers of these drugs
- Enforce stricter rules about this medicine’s use at home
- Arrange a meeting with a doctor who will instruct as to the proper usage of the drugs
- Dispose of unused medicines after the teen recovers from illness or addiction
- If you are aware of your teen using prescription drugs post recovery, reprimand them, do not ignore this.
Hillcrest for Teen Prescription Drug Addiction
Hillcrest Adolescent Treatment Center (Hillcrest) is a licensed, residential mental health facility in the tropical foothills of Agoura Hills, specializing in the treatment of prescription drug addiction, and guided by expert mental healthcare professionals and therapists who are committed to the long-lasting and sustained healing of each client, both during and post treatment. At Hillcrest, teen residential treatment is dynamic, multi-layered, varied and eclectic. In addition to individualized therapeutic programs designed specifically to suit each client’s condition and temperament, a range of extracurricular activities and hobbies are also offered to ensure healthy and fun outlets for each client depending on their skills and talents.
Hillcrest’s individualized approach allows for personal attention and care of the highest of standards for each client. By recognizing the unique nature and experience of each client, and valuing the distinct abilities and character traits that your loved ones bring to the Hillcrest program, positive healing attributes are maximized and strengthened, allowing each client to flourish while at Hillcrest, and moreover, to learn to nurture those positive characteristics to achieve independence and constructive impactful change upon re-entry and re-integration into the outside world.